Updated: May 8
Writer: Athaya Hardono | Illustrator: Carina Audrey Budiarto
Feeling hungry but no one’s cooking you a meal? Longing for a hearty home-cooked meal but too lazy to go out? Grab your aprons and knives — Don’t worry, you won’t be spending hours in the kitchen and end up with tons of stacked dishes cause you could easily prepare this dish with your eyes closed (not literally though!)
A while back, APU INA’s Culture and Arts division hijacked AP House’s communal kitchen and led a cooking tutorial for a classic side dish with a Japanese twist: Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Curry Gravy. Participants loved the dish, and we love it even more! That’s why we’re sharing this recipe with our fellow readers so you could make your own and impress your friends with this crowd-pleasing dish that is perfect for every season and occasion.
MASHED POTATOES WITH CURRY GRAVY
6 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into equal lengthwise
1 Carrot, diced
1/2 Large Onion, diced
Plenty of Butter (but half a pack would be enough)
1 Glass of Milk or 1/3 of a carton
2 Curry Blocks of Different Flavor
300gr of Beef (Choose your own cut!)
Peanut Butter (Optional)
Salt and Pepper
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into equal lengthwise, reserve the skin in a separate bowl.
2. Put the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold salted water
3. Bring to a boil (for approx. 45 minutes) and gradually reduce the heat down to low (high-medium-low) until potatoes are soft (check with your forks!)
4. After the potatoes are fully cooked and soft, drain the water and mash potatoes with a fork until evenly-textured
5. Add in softened butter and milk gradually until the desired consistency
6. Keep stirring!
FOR THE CURRY GRAVY
1. In a separate pan, sauteè onion & carrots until soft and fragrant
2. Add in beef and stir until half-cooked
3. Add 2 different curry blocks into the mixture (use different curry blocks to enhance flavor) and add water as necessary
4. To make the curry thicker, gradually add pre-diluted cornstarch until the desired consistency (proportion of cornstarch and water should be 1:1)
5. (Optional) Add 2 tbsp of peanut butter to the curry to add flavor
6. Cook on low heat until curry is ready (and don’t forget to keep stirring so that there’s no lump!)
FOR THE EXTRA GARNISH THAT YOU MIGHT ENJOY
1. Fry the reserved potato skin in hot oil until crispy and golden
2. Season with salt and pepper to taste
3. Serve the crispy skin on top of the mashed potatoes and curry gravy for that extra crunch
Voila! Creamy mashed potatoes with curry gravy are ready to serve. Whether you’re gonna eat it as a main or serve it as a side, the dish is perfect to be devoured at all times by all crowds. We hope you enjoy the dish as much as we do!